Monday 18 January 2010

Nicoise Salad

Pronounced "nee-swah"

I have this thing for tuna salads i've discovered. But i think it's more than the tuna in the salad that gets to me, it's actually the capers and kalamata olives.

I'm a huge fan of really delicate salads that have something with a bite that is surprising. This salad is classic of that. Here's a simple recipe of my rendition of this salad. Unfortunately I didn't make the dressing for this salad because honestly, i don't use one the capers and olives are salty enough for me. I also eat this salad for lunch, so portions are ultimately up to you.

Ingredients
2 cups of mixed salad greens
1 can of white albacore tuna (although i admit that the pouched tuna tastes better)
1/4 cup of white button mushrooms sliced
1/4 cup of blanched greenbeans (instructions below)
1/2 of a small shallot sliced very very thinly
1 tbsp of capers
as many kalamata olives as you please.
1 hard boiled egg, sliced.

Take all the ingredients and mix in a bowl. easy enough. EAT!

---
blanching is a skill even i'm trying to perfect. It's all about timing for this. As far as the green beans go, I first cleaned and cut the ends before placing them in boiling water. I only set them in boiling water for 1.5 mins before quickly transferring them to a bowl of ice water. Have all this set up before you start boiling the vegetables. then for the salad, i took the green beans out of the water, pat them dry and then sliced them into thirds.

No comments:

Post a Comment