6 Chicken thighs (stripped of fat)
1 large onion (half chopped in slices and other half cut in quarters)
8-9 cloves of garlic
1 can of Chipotle in Adobo sauce
Salt and Pepper
1 bag of Tostadas (Guerrero)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Place one of the quartered onion and 3 cloves of garlic in the water. After chicken is stripped of fat place chicken inside water. Allow chicken to cook for approx 12 - 15mins.
- While the chicken is cooking, take the three tomatoes and cook them whole on a frypan with no oil. Allow the skin to slightly brown.
- Put 3 garlic cloves, a quarter of onion (not the ones that have been boiling with chicken), 2-3 chipotle peppers, and tomatoes in a food processesor. Blend everything together until a smooth consistency. Put aside.
- Take chicken out of the water and allow to cool before stripping. DO NOT THROW AWAY THE BROTH. This is quality chicken broth that will help keep the tinga from getting too dry. Once the chicken has cooled strip the chicken.
- Put a tablespoon of olive oil on a frypan and bring up to medium heat. Cook the sliced onion now until soft and translucent. Then add 2 cloves of chopped garlic until fragrant. Immediately pour in the chipotle tomato sauce and bring to a simmer. Add the stripped chicken and simmer until the consistency of the tinga is to your liking.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread some sour cream on top of the large round Tostada Chips (I prefer Guerrero), add the tinga and then garnish with cilantro.
Tips: However spicy you want the tinga to be depends soley on the Chipotle. Also I suggest that you buy the canned Chipotle because the Adobo sauce that is already added has an excellent smokey flavor.